The Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences (FMG) of the University of Amsterdam (UvA) is the largest educational and research institution in the social sciences in the Netherlands. The Faculty serves 7,500 students in numerous Bachelor and Master programmes in Political Science, Sociology, Anthropology, Communication Science, Psychology, Social Geography, Planning and International Development Studies, and Educational Sciences. The academic staff are employed in education as well as research. There are over 1,100 employees in the Faculty, which resides in a number of buildings in the centre of Amsterdam.
- Have obtained a (research) master’s degree in a field relevant to the theme of the research, in particular politics, International Relations, law, anthropology, social sciences, or European Studies;
- Are persons with initiative, excellent communication skills, and the ability to work independently as well as in a team;
- Have well-developed analytical skills as well as creativity and perseverance;
- Possess good academic writing, presentation and organisational skills;
- Can demonstrate a strong interest in the topic of this PhD project;
- Are familiar with (some of the) academic literatures relevant to the project;
- Have experience with qualitative research methodology, especially participant observation and interviews;
- Are able to communicate effectively in English both orally and in writing;
- Have a strong interest in pursuing an academic career.
Knowledge of (written and spoken) Dutch is an asset.