Xenophobia Revisited - World War II and the lessons (not) learned in the 21st century, Training Course, 21-26 May 2017 | Weimar, Germany, Germany
This call is open for participants living in Estonia, Germany, Greece and Portugal.
Especially in light of the Refugee Crisis of 2015 and the resurgence of xenophobic, far-right movements across Europe in its wake, it has become increasingly clear that the lessons once learned in the horrors of World War II are yet to be understood by broader parts of today’s European population.
Our idea for ‘Xenophobia Revisited’ is, thus, to use the recent rise of right-wing, anti-minority sentiments in Europe as an occasion to re-evaluate the methods and methodologies of remembrance work and how the lessons learned from World War II can be better anchored in today’s European societies. In doing so, the training course aims to evaluate and improve current methods of remembrance work and education about WWII, highlight best practices using modern media, widen the participants’ reach in presenting the lessons learned about the Second World War, and thus encourage active citizenship across national lines today.
To reach the aims of the project, the workshop will focus on the following areas:
- To promote modern methodologies and best practices in remembrance work
- To discuss and highlight the effects of and lessons learned from recent events in Europe on history education.
- To promote the knowledge and use of modern media formats in history education
- To discuss prevalent media-narratives in Europe today and their chances and challenges for remembrance work
- To promote active citizenship in Europe on the basis of the lessons learned from the Second World War
Accommodation and food will be provided by the organizers for the whole duration of the course. The project's participation fee is 50 EURO.
Travel costs will be covered, based on the country you are traveling from: ESTONIA, GREECE: 275 Euro / PORTUGAL: 325 Euro / GERMANY: 20 Euro
Αναλυτικές πληροφορίες - Εγγραφές: Xenophobia Revisited